Parents (including same sex parents), have a responsibility to financially support their children.

The Department of Human Services is responsible for calculating the amount and distribution of child support from one parent to the other. The Department of Human Services will not automatically make a child support assessment on separation.

As an alternative to making an application to the Department of Human Services for an assessment, there are two types of child support agreements that parents are able to agree privately:

  • Binding Child Support Agreements.
  • Limited Child Support Agreements.

Child Support Agreements may be either unregistered or registered with the Department of Human Services. In most cases Child Support Agreements are binding, and can only be varied by reaching a new agreement or by making an application to the Family Court.

Our team can assist you to negotiate a Child Support Agreement, which allows for increased flexibility in relation to the amount, frequency and method of child support payments. Child support payments under a Child Support Agreement might be paid to provide specific support for items such as school fees or medical expenses.

We can also assist you with the preparation of an application to the Department of Human Services and provide general advice about your child support liabilities and entitlements.

Contact our legal team today for a confidential discussion on child support.